What you'll learn
- The principles of quantum mechanics
- How quantum mechanics applies to chemistry
- How to simulate quantum mechanics in Python
Welcome to The Quantum World!
This course is an introduction to quantum chemistry: the application of quantum theory to atoms, molecules, and materials. You’ll learn about wavefunctions, probability, special notations, and approximations that make quantum mechanics easier to apply. You’ll also learn how to use Python to program quantum-mechanical models of atoms and molecules.
This course has serious prerequisites. You will need to be comfortable with college-level chemistry and calculus. Some prior programming experience is also encouraged.
The Quantum World is ideal for:
Chemistry majors who want extra material alongside an on-campus courseChemistry majors at an institution that does not offer quantum chemistryPhysics or CompSci majors who want to branch out to chemistryGraduate students refreshing on quantum mechanics before their qualifying examsProfessional chemists who want to brush up on their skills
- Intro to Quantum Mechanics
A quick review of classical mechanics and wave mechanics, plus the postulates that form the basis of quantum theory.
- Schrödinger in Many Dimensions
The Schrödinger equation in one, two, and three dimensions, plus the use of the Finite Difference Method that makes computational quantum chemistry possible.
- Applications and Phase Space
Infrared spectroscopy, chemical reactions, molecular rotation, and the proper use of phase space.
Solving the hydrogen atom, approximating many-electron atoms.
- Molecules and Light
An in-depth look at diatomic molecules, and the interaction of atoms with light.
- Variation and Perturbation
The variational principle, the Hartree-Fock method, self-consistent field theory, and perturbation theory.
You may also like
- OnlineLearn about the development of 2D and 3D interactive games in this hands-on course, as you explore the design of games such as...Free*12 weeks longAvailable now
- OnlineAn introduction to the intellectual enterprises of computer science and the art of programming.Free*11 weeks longAvailable now
- OnlineA gentle introduction to programming that prepares you for subsequent courses in coding.Free*3 weeks longAvailable now